The Musings of One Miss Julie

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Bathrooms Under Siege

I've got no photos today, but I hope I can paint some vivid word pictures instead.


So for the last year-and-a-half, we've lived with one working bathroom and one out-of-commission bathroom because of a burst of misguided insistence that I try my hand at being a regular handy ma'am. What I realized is that watching one's dad be handy and watching plenty of home renovation shows on Saturday mornings on PBS does not necessarily a handy girl make. And watching others do it certainly doesn't improve the motivation quotient much, which is why we've lived with a rag stuck in the hole in the floor where the toilet should attach for so long.


Starting today, that all changed. I'm tired of looking at bare walls, a dangling light bulb, and a half-finished tile floor. So I finally got down on my hands and knees -- after much prodding from Scott and others -- and grouted the floor. I'm a bit stiff and sore, but the satisfaction of having moved one more step toward completion feels pretty good.


I hope the feeling lasts: I've still got to paint, get and install the trim, install the new toilet and sink, install the new light fixture, and a myriad other little tasks.


And as if one bathroom under construction wasn't enough, yesterday morning the tub shower in the other bathroom (and the only shower in the house) decided to take a vacation of its own. The spigot where the water would normally come to pour water into the bathtub simply came off in my hands when I attempted to pull the plug that would divert the water to the shower head.


Now I'm left with a naked copper pipe sticking out a bit from the wall that blasts water directly onto the opposite wall of the tub, which creates all kinds of moist havoc. And contorting to wash my hair in the morning isn't particularly fantastic either, but alas. The faucet manufacturer says we'll have the replacement part in 7-10 days. Ugh.


And I'm complaining about difficulty in bathing for a few days when I have to remember that many (if not most) people in the world don't have access to modern-day necessities such as indoor plumbing, let alone clean water for consumption or bathing. (Note to self: Let that be a reminder to you.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home